If you are like most people, your to-do list may seem never-ending and overwhelming. Of course, life is life and there will always be something that needs to be done but there are ways to manage your list and avoid anxiety. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Each night, before you go to bed, take a look at your list and pick three things that have to be done the next day. Make these your priority.
- Keep your list as clean as you can. Once you start to mark it up too much, the visual clutter adds to the overwhelm. Use a digital format or rewrite it every so often. Better yet, use sticky notes so you can throw them away as you accomplish each task and you can move them around as needed.
- If you have something big to do, especially if you are not looking forward to it, break it down into smaller pieces and maybe even over several days if possible.
- If you get derailed, just jump back on the train and keep going.
- Make it easy by making sure you have all the supplies you need to accomplish something. Get them all together and ready before you begin the project.
- Create a space to work in so you aren’t having to move things around in the middle of the task.
- Get support. Having an awesome cheerleader on your side can make all the difference in the world.
- If you are setting goals and include these goals on your to-do list, use the SMART goal system and stay focused on the benefits.
- Set aside time to work on your list. Whatever amount of time you think something will take, double it.
- Celebrate your successes!
Follow these tips and you’ll be wondering what to do with your free time sooner than you think!